Re: GPL v.1 in the Calc manual

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL v.1 in the Calc manual
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:06:23 +0200

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

> The Calc manual has a copy of version 1 of the GPL.
> This should be changed to v.2, but this is an invariant section of the
> manual.  This may be a silly question, but how do I get permission to
> change it?

The copyright of calc including its manual has been assigned to the
FSF, and you are acting as the maintainer of the FSF, like with any
other contribution to calc.

For a change of that scope, it is definitely a good idea to ask the
FSF whether your change is in line with what the FSF wants from you as
the maintainer of that part.

It appears to me that:

a) the copyright notices in calc should be put in line with those in
the rest of Emacs, namely GPL v2 or later.

b) the license of the calc manual should be put in line with the rest
of Emacs, which would be the GFDL in its current version.  You should
ask Richard which passages should in the course of that be considered
invariant.  It would probably be convenient of you proposed a set and
let it be rogered (or vetoed).

So basically the thing to do is to make a more or less detailed list
of what changes you think appropriate, and ask Richard whether they
are ok with him.  No additional paperwork should be necessary apart
from what has already been passed around.