Re: Suggestion: C-x C-u => undo-only

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Suggestion: C-x C-u => undo-only
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 08:49:16 +0900

On Apr 3, 2005 7:56 AM, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
> What about C-x C-u ?

Besides the fact that it's already bound to something, I think it's a
bad idea to put various subtle variations of the same command on very
similar bindings, it's just too hard to keep straight; I think it's
very likely that people would end up thinking that both are actually
bound to the same command and be confused by the subtle difference.

Note that I do think it's a bit dumb that the easy-to-type binding
(C-x C-u) is a rare command like upcase-region, and the harder-to-type
binding (C-x u) is a very common command (this is especially silly for
undo because you very often want to invoke it repeatedly, which is
rather hard to do if one must keep pressing and releasing the control
key!).

So while I kinda like the idea of some rationalization of the undo
binding, I _don't_ think having undo and undo-only on `C-x u' and `C-x
C-u' is a good idea.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.