Re: [patch] enhanced mac drag-n-drop

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: [patch] enhanced mac drag-n-drop
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:39:11 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

We should break out what you can use in a general dnd.el file.  The
x-dnd.el currently contains both general DND handling and protocol
specifics. I'll look at what the w32 code uses and try to generalize
it more.

The code is in term/w32-win.el. I only used one function from
x-dnd.el, but I think I basically rewrote another function with minor
changes, so it may be possible to generalize that. Also a full dnd
implementation on w32 could probably use more from x-dnd.el if someone
were to contribute the necessary COM code to generate the more complex
events, so generalizing as much as you can would help in the long term.

I've done a small generalization, in the new file dnd.el. The idea is that platform specific parts call functions in this file. I've changed dired.el and w32-win.el (but not tested on w32). I'm not sure how things work on w32, but I think dropping on a dired buffer will copy a file to the dired directory on w32 as well now.

The only thing a user can customize that is general on all platforms is the dnd-protocol-alist. Now, I know that it is hard to cover all cases with such a simple selection mechanism, For example, files may be image files, shall the image be created in Emacs? What is the url of a sound clip that is dropped?

The X DND mechanism gives the types of items dropped, but I don't know what other platforms use for types, so it is hard for me to generalize this part. And I don't want to add complexity until we need it.

   Jan D.