Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:41:37 +0900

On 4/14/05, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> The problem is that I've never noticed any positive effect of stealth
> >> fontification
> > It decreases the time it takes to page through a file.
>
> That's the theory, I'm talking about practice.

FWIW, I've been annoyed in the past by sluggish response caused by
fontification upon display; not recently though, i'm not sure if
that's because of stealth fontification or not.  I'm not referring to
"total paging time" or any such thing, btw, just a sort feeling of
"lag" upon entering a new screen (often when I've used i-search to
skip way ahead in a big file).

I don't have a good feel for the tradeoffs though.  I think the
problem is for most people one of perception more than anything else
-- yeah the laptop case is an exception to this.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.