Emacs CVS on OSX Tiger (10.4)

From: GMail
Subject: Emacs CVS on OSX Tiger (10.4)
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:37:29 +0200

Hi All,

It appears that 10.4 has changed enough compared to 10.3.x to break Emacs.

Pre-compiled packages built for 10.3.x break during startup, so I tried compiling from source.

I ran into a couple of problems which I was able to work around, but without really knowing what I was doing, probably did so in the worst way possible.

Problem #1
macgui.c was trying to use emacs_mktime and failed during the link stage. I hunted the entire codebase and couldn't find this function/macro/other anywhere... am I missing something?
        In the end i commented out these lines:
./src/macgui.h-46-#undef mktime
./src/macgui.h:47:#define mktime emacs_mktime

Problem #2
sys/time.h (for reasons that are beyond me) now defines select() and a number of other bits and pieces that are also in sys/types.h. Maybe thats not the whole cause, but to make a long story short, mac.c (specifically sys_select() and select_and_poll_event() ) doesn't compile.
        So I removed both functions and, well, it seems to work anyway....
        Here are the compiler errors:
<snip>
mac.c: In function 'select_and_poll_event':
mac.c:3877: error: request for member 'fds_bits' in something not a structure or union
mac.c: In function 'sys_select':
mac.c:3895: error: argument 'rfds' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/sys/time.h:242: error: prototype declaration
mac.c:3895: error: argument 'wfds' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/sys/time.h:242: error: prototype declaration
mac.c:3895: error: argument 'efds' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/sys/time.h:242: error: prototype declaration
mac.c:3901: error: request for member 'fds_bits' in something not a structure or union mac.c:3904: error: request for member 'fds_bits' in something not a structure or union mac.c:3918: error: request for member 'fds_bits' in something not a structure or union mac.c:3929: error: request for member 'fds_bits' in something not a structure or union
mac.c: In function 'mac_get_system_locale':
mac.c:4224: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 4 of 'LocaleRefGetPartString' differ in signedness mac.c:4226: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'build_string' differ in signedness
make: *** [mac.o] Error 1

If anyone has suggestions on how I should have fixed the above, I can have a go and report back with a patch.

Andrew

--
Andrew Beekhof

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college" - Unknown, courtesy of Lewis Black