Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fontification of citations in mail-Mode
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:24:35 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 12:13:54 -0400
>
> Anyway, I don't see any reason why cited text should be fontified.

IMHO, the reason is, if nothing else, that this is how Mail mode
behaved on a tty since v21.1, and users did not complain too loudly
(or we would have changed that).  I really don't think we should
disable that fontification now just because you happen to dislike it.
Perhaps all you need to do is play a bit with your colors.

Failing that, here's a suggestion for a more complicated solution:
define special faces for Mail mode, so that they could be customized
without affecting general-purpose faces such as comment face.  Then
people who don't like fontified citations could disable that, but
still have comments in program sources fontified as before.
(Personally, I think that using a face meant for comments in a mail
buffer is very far-fetched.)