Re: Incompatible change without "warning"

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without "warning"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:32:14 +1200

 > In etc/NEWS you've also added an entry for make-obsolete-variable:
 >
 >   +++ *** New function make-obsolete-variable to warn that a variable may
 >   be removed at some stage in the future.
 >
 > Even though is wasn't documented in the Lisp Manual,
 > make-obsolete-variable has been part of Emacs since version 19.7.

I've removed this entry. I was fooled by defvaralias being new.

 > Lute.
 >

 > PS. I noticed that make-obsolete isn't documented either.  Maybe you
 >     can fix that as well?

I'm waiting to see if Richard decides that define-obsolete-function-alias
should be added too. These two functions are so similar to the two that
I've just documented, externally at least, that I wonder if they could
be described somewhere centrally in the Lisp manual i.e a link from the
nodes 'Defining Variables' and 'Defining Functions'to one called
'Obsoletion'.

Nick