Re: Should killing a help or compile buffer also delete the window?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should killing a help or compile buffer also delete the window?
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:50:17 -0400

>> My locally hacked Emacs has changed it to *always* mark the window
>> as dedicated.

> Does this mean that if you type C-h f cd RET M-x man RET chdir RET,
> you end up with three windows (assuming you started with just one)?

Can't remember what behavior I implemented (I use
special-display-buffer-names for those buffers anyway, so I get 3 frames
even with a vanilla Emacs), but the intention is for this not to be the case
in order to preserve the current behavior (i.e. the M-x man simply uses one
of the two existing windows, setting its dedicated flag to nil as
a side-effect).

>> It works great in my environment, don't know about others's.
> It sounds just about perfect.  Where can I get the patch? :-)

It's lost in the middle of many other changes.
See my address@hidden/emacs--monnier--0 branch
in my Arch archive at http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~monnier/archives/first.
Note that it's a branch I use only to sync my local version between
diferent machines.  It's not signed and can be broken and include temporary
hacks/debugging things, some of them left around way past their due date.

Probably a `tla changes --diffs address@hidden/emacs--trunk--0'
followed by a good grep for `dedicated' will give you a good idea of what's
been changed for this specific "feature".

        Stefan