Re: Extending GUD tooltips

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Extending GUD tooltips
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:00:28 +1200

 > Btw, I have a question not directly related to your patch: why do you
 > absolutely need to put gud-specific code within tooltip.el?

Well, I didn't put them there, but it certainly makes coding easier because
GUD tooltips use a lot of the generic code.

 > IMHO, tooltip.el shall only provide some generic code that can be used
 > by other modes, externaly. AFAIK, this what other modes do.

Maybe thats a general rule but one needs to be quantitative. tooltip.el is
about 500 lines and about half that code is for GUD. So maybe 250 lines get
loaded in Emacs through loadup.el but I'm not sure that it amounts to much in
memory. On the other hand, gud.el is about 3000 lines, so moving GUD tooltips
there would make the file over ten times larger than tooltip.el. Can you see
any practical benefit in doing this?

Nick