Re: address@hidden: Detached minibuffer cropped text]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Detached minibuffer cropped text]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:53:25 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Kim, that does sound quite right either - the minibuffer frame is
>>> specified to have a height of 1, but you see 2 lines.  Or are you including
>>> the WM title bar?
>>
>> The display engine requires that window height is an whole multiple of
>> the default frame line height.  So if 1 line is not enough, the next
>> choice is 2 lines.
>>
>> I don't know why Emacs selects one line in your case, and 2 lines in my
>> case.  It could be some property of the font -- I don't know.
>
> Could be that the mode line font (or the minibuffer font after
> font-lock) in one case is larger than one line of the default font,
> and in one case isn't.

It must be a dicision made during frame creation, i.e. before any text
is displayed in the minibuffer window (which is the only window in the
detached minibuffer frame.

So in my case, the frame is created with two lines, in Simon's case it
is created with one line.  Depending on the point of view, both
behaviours may be correct, but the question is what controls this.