Debugger and mode-line

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Debugger and mode-line
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:38:56 +0200

For a long time, I have had problems with the Emacs lisp debugger: The
value returned from match-string calls was often wrong. Now I have found
out that match-data was overwritten during evaluation of the mode-line
because I have an abbreviate-file-name call there, and
abbreviate-file-name overwrites match-data.

Is this a debugger bug? Or should evaluation of the mode-line save
match-data?