Re: Reverting *Locate* buffers.

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Reverting *Locate* buffers.
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 23:52:10 +0200

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Where do we stand now in this thread?  Obviously, I can not implement
> David's suggestion as long as there is this error message (assuming it
> would not give other problems, even without that message, which I can
> not test).

After playing a while, I could reproduce the same error here. In my
environment, I needed to recompile everything (make bootfast) and
start emacs without any preloaded Tramp (emacs -q). This should be the
default for most of the people except me ...

> Do I just commit my previously sent patch, or do we have the feeling
> that there are bugs in Tramp which should be reported?

There is a bug in Tramp. And you did sufficient reporting already,
thank you.

I don't believe I'll catch the bug tonight; it is some nasty
autoloading cycle I guess. But I'll do it next days.

When Tramp is preloaded (require 'tramp), your patch works fine. I've
enhanced it a little bit according to David's recommendations: a
custom option locate-update-path should provide enough freedom for
calling updatedb sufficiently. From my point of view you could commit
your patch in this (or your) version.

> Sincerely,
>
> Luc.

Best regards, Michael.