Re: saved user abbrevs and system abbrevs

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: saved user abbrevs and system abbrevs
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 19:04:11 -0500

"Stuart D. Herring" wrote:

> Well, one thing that would make doing it manually much less painful
> would be to implement a trivial function allowing
>
> (populate-abbrev-table 'table-symbol '(("foo" "foobar" nil 0 t) ...))

Sure, this is little more than a mapcar, which is how I do it already.

As I said in another mail, I did not explain the issue well the first
time round. What I thought was the main problem is that one cannot
initialize system abbreviations in the defvar for the mode abbrev
table any more (because the abbrev table may already defined before
the mode is loaded, thanks to loading of the user's saved abbrevs).
This seemed like the kind of unexpected behaviour it would be hard to
remember.

In hindsight, I have no idea how I expected anyone to guess that's
what I meant. :)

> Alternatively, the system abbrevs could be stored in some other file
> or files which major modes would load, similarly to the way that
> user abbrevs are already handled:
>
> (load-system-abbrev-table 'my-mode-abbrev-table)

Hmm. I think this is just more work than the current arrangement.