Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:06:56 +0900

Zhang Wei <address@hidden> writes:
> But the following fontconfig setting still takes no effect:

I dunno, but maybe it's because you're using <double>?  I had success
using <int> to match against pixelsize.

The following .fonts.conf file works for me; it:
(1) turns on the autohinter, which seems to improve these fonts,
and (2) turns off anti-aliasing for a pixelsize between 13 and 17
(for fonts smaller than 13 pixels, the curved lines in these fonts start
to get weird ugly artifacts).

BTW the fonts below are actually "kochi gothic" and "kochi mincho", but
for whatever reason the roman names don't match...  I don't really
understand f.c.'s matcher too well !

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">

<fontconfig>

 <match target="pattern">
   <test name="family">
     <string>東風ゴシック</string>
     <string>さざなみ明朝</string>
   </test>

   <edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
     <bool>true</bool>
   </edit>
 </match>

 <match target="pattern">
   <test name="family">
     <string>東風ゴシック</string>
     <string>さざなみ明朝</string>
   </test>
   <test name="pixelsize" compare="more">
     <int>12</int>
   </test>
   <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
     <int>18</int>
   </test>

   <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
     <bool>false</bool>
   </edit>
 </match>

</fontconfig>

-Miles

--
My books focus on timeless truths.  -- Donald Knuth