Re: find-grep fails with cmdproxy and gnuwin32 programs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: find-grep fails with cmdproxy and gnuwin32 programs
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 02:02:43 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:
I have currently set shell-file-name and explicit-shell-file-name to the full file name of cmdproxy.exe. I have gnuwin32 versions of find, xargs and grep in my path. Then I try

    M-x grep-find RET
    find . -name "*.el" -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e lwarn

I get

   -*- mode: grep; default-directory: "c:/EmacsW32/lisp/" -*-
   Grep started at Wed Dec 13 00:16:36

   find . -name "*.el" -type f -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -nH -e lwarn
   xargs: grep: Permission denied

  Grep finished (matches found) at Wed Dec 13 00:16:37

If I try the same command in a console window it works. If I look at exec-path and (getenv "PATH") they look ok to me.

I am trying to find out if Cygwin or Gnuwin32 is best for things like this. If I use Cygwin instead it works, but it seems like a bug somewhere that Gnuwin32+cmd.exe does not work. Or am I doing something stupid here?

Sorry. Please forget this. Obviously I was, since it works now. There seems to have been something wrong with PATH though I did not think so.