Re: gnus queries all mail folders on startup

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: gnus queries all mail folders on startup
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:43:32 +0100

> From: Michael Welsh Duggan <md5i <at> cs.cmu.edu>
> Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.devel
> Date: 2006-12-14 07:15:03 GMT (18 hours and 20 minutes ago)
>
>> From: Chris Moore <dooglus <at> gmail.com>
>> To: emacs-pretest-bug <at> gnu.org
>> Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 16:18:08 +0100
>>
>> I'm using nnimap in gnus to read my email.
>>
>> Each time I start gnus, it polls every one of my hundreds of mail
>> folders, which takes quite a long time.
>>
>> I've set gnus-activate-level to 5, and unsubscribed from the folders I
>> don't want it to scan.  I've checked, and those folders now have a
>> rank of 6, and so they shouldn't be scanned by default.
>
> Since nobody seems to have followed up on this...
>
> Chris, what is the value of `gnus-read-active-file'?  According to the
> documentation, it should be `some' by default.  If it is t, try
> setting it to some to see if that solves the problem.
>
> (Gnus node: "The Active File")

Hi Michael.  I'm amazed I saw your message.  I reported this bug on
emacs-pretest-bugs and don't read emacs-devel.  I just happened to
notice my name while looking through the archives for a Windows Emacs
pretest binary.

Please, anyone, when replying to messages forwarded from a different
list, either reply to the original list or the original author.
Otherwise your reply could well go unseen by the person you're
attempting to address.

To answer your question:

  gnus-read-active-file is a variable defined in `gnus-start.el'.
  Its value is some

Chris.