Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The emacsclient socket vs. etc/emacs.bash
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:48:47 +0100

Kim F. Storm wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

Maybe you misunderstood what I said? If emacsclient starts emacs the
way I have proposed then there is no need for the startup files for
emacs (.emacs etc) to start emacs server. That is taken care of by
emacsclient.

If you in such a setup want to start a second emacs then you can just
start emacs the way you do it today. There will be no trouble with
emacs server then since the emacs you start this way simply does not
care about emacs server.

Or, did I misunderstood you?

I think we mis-communicate...

You talk about emacsclient _starting emacs_ and instructing that emacs
to start the server, so emacsclient can talk to that emacs.  I
understand how that works nicely with e.g. Windows' Explorer and file
associations, and how subsequent calls to emacsclient will talk to
the emacs started by the first emacsclient.

But in my case, I _always_ have emacs running (not started by
emacsclient), so I want emacsclient to talk to that emacs -- how do
you do that without starting the server (e.g. in .emacs) before
running emacsclient?

Yes, maybe we miscommunicate. I am talking about the suggestions I had to change emacsclient (and which I have implemented in a working, but not optimal way, in my patched version).

To be able to start "that emacs" I send along the value from emacsclient --server-file argument to emacs. No big deal, no changes to emacs itself. (I leave out the technical details for now.)

Would it be possible at all for you to start emacs through emacsclient this way? Or is something missing that makes it impossible for you?

I am not asking here if you like this way or not. I just want to know if it possible. And the second question is of course if you in principle would like such an arrangement? I think it has the advantage that I mentioned above (and of course the advantage of the automatic startup of emacs).