Re: Directory name completion blocks when it shouldn't

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Directory name completion blocks when it shouldn't
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 00:37:41 -0500

[I sent this message a week ago but did not get a response.]

    read-file-name-internal ignores the value of PREDICATE if ACTION is
    nil (ACTION is t if we are listing possible completions, and nil if
    are actually doing the completion)

I wonder if that is a bug.  Unfortunately there is no comment which
explains why the code does this.

I looked for calls to read-file-name that pass a predicate.  Aside
from this one, I found one other, in compile.el.  The comment there
suggests that in this case too it is a problem that read-file-name
ignores the predicate.

Is it feasible to fix read-file-name to obey the predicate
in the completion case?  It could be that the reason it doesn't
do so was the difficulty of implementing that case efficiently.

Would someone please try?