Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-defun-raw.
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:14:50 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 01:02:13PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > The available evidence is that hackers cannot be expected to notice
>> > and correct these things without help.
>
>> What evidence?
>
> The existence (up until a few days ago) of the open paren in C0 in
> syntax.c, of course.
>
> If these things slip unnoticed past Emacs hackers for years, what hope
> is there for ordinary programmers?

Do you want to imply that every program of yours immediately compiles
on first attempt?  If not, does that mean that hackers can't be
expected to understand C syntax?

One corrects syntax problems with the help of compiler feedback, and
one corrects the violation of indenting conventions with the feedback
of, for example, font-lock.  Now font-lock has not been the default
for long, and `beginning-of-defun' is not used so frequently as to
make editing a buffer die a horrible death (which is what happens with
syntax errors when compiling).

What you call "evidence" is, in my book, a very flimsy excuse for the
same.