Re: Should libXt-devel be required to build Emacs?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Should libXt-devel be required to build Emacs?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:40:58 +0100

Chong Yidong skrev:

There's a problem with this: Autoconf 2.61 was only released in
November this year, and it requires a new version of M4 (1.4.8), which
in turn requires a new libc6.  Most existing GNU/Linux distributions
won't have these packages (at least in their "stable" branches).

What is it in m4 1.4.8 that needs a new libc upgrade? It sounds incredible. Are you sure it isn't just some package system that has that requirement?

Most package systems seems to have problems with dependencies. For example on Ubuntu Edgy, if I try to remove the X11 driver for my video card, the package handler insists that the whole X11 be removed as well. Silly indeed.

        Jan D.