Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: How global is a define-global-minor-mode mode?
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:21:00 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
[I sent this message a few days ago but did not get a response.
Could we get the discussion moving again?]

I am trying to use define-global-minor-mode, see below. I have customized the global mode to be t, but when I open new buffers the minor mode is not set in them. Is this a bug in define-global-minor-mode?

My impression is that the global mode defined with
define-global-minor-mode does not affect all buffers to be created in
the future.  It only catches buffers created by visiting files.

If so, I think what is needed is to add this to the documentation of
define-global-minor-mode.

    Globally enabling the mode also affects buffers subsequently created
    by visiting files, but not buffers subsequently created in other ways.

Can anyone confirm that this is right?

I believe the problem is that the setup of the hook functions is not done as expected. I have my global minor mode set to t in customize, but I do not found the global mode hook functions in the hook after startup. (The global minor mode is t.)

I think Drew said that the documentation for define-global-minor-mode needs some enhancement. I think that too, especially something could be mentioned about the difference using :global t with define-minor-mode.

BTW, it looks to me that there is no way to catch creation of new buffers.