Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:49:27 +0200

> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:09:02 +0100
> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs Devel <address@hidden>
>
> I think I know the source of the problem now. It seems to be an MS
> Windows bug. Opening and just closing any menu eats 4 GDI Objects
> (according to Task Manager) that are assigned to explorer.exe.
> In those cases where I have seen the problem XP has been running for
> quite a while and the number of GDI Objects for explorer.exe seems
> to have meat a limit.

How long is ``quite a while'', and how many GDI object did you see
used by explorer in the Task Manager?

Anyway, AFAIK there's no relation between GDI objects usage and
inability of start-process to run the program.

> Have anyone heard of this bug before? Fully patched XP Professional.

My XP system casually runs for weeks on end, and I never saw any
problem with resource depletion.  But I didn't try to run explorer
from Emacs, either.