Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Suggestion: A fringe indicator that shows the last/first line before scrolling
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 03:00:54 +0000

On 01/03/2008, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> The usual GUI version of this feature just draws a line across the
>  window, which seems ok.  Similarly, Emacs could highlight a whole line
>  with an appropriately low-key face (either a subtle-ish background color
>  change, or an underline might be appropriate).

Working on that, noticed a difference between underlining on X and in
terminals: if a face has only underline set on a terminal and the
overlay with that face passes the narrower-than-window-width line end,
then the underline extends to the right edge of the window - in this
case desirable to get a line all the way across the window.

If a face has only underline set on X, that doesn't happen,
only happens if the face also has a different background set to the
frame background.

Not really up to speed on the C code, but I guess to fix the issue
xdisp.c/extend_face_to_end_of_line() probably just needs a small
change to extend if underline is set, not just boxes, different
backgrounds and stipples.

But then again, for more usual uses of underlining, not extending to
the right edge might be considered a feature, and on X displays the
fringe marks are available anyway.