Re: Hyperlinks in *vc-change-log*

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Hyperlinks in *vc-change-log*
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:59:00 -0400

> I've written up some code that I find quite useful for working with
> VC. The code below adds buttons to each commit entry in *vc-change-log*
> buffers, essentially making them hyperlinks to the revision mentioned
> using vc-find-revision.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea.  But it should be generalized to show not
only files but also diffs.

> * The button actions use closures and thus require the cl library. As I
>   understand it, this dependency would have to be removed for it to be
>   included in Emacs. I consider this to be somewhat disappointing as it
>   will add complexity to the code, but I respect this choice of the
>   maintainers.

Not a problem, you misunderstood the requirement.

> * It only supports three VC backends: SVN, CVS, and Git. This is simply
>   because I don't have much experience with other VC systems; it would
>   be trivial to add support for more by adding appropriate entries to
>   vc-button-regexp-alist to match what a commit looks like in each
>   backend.

The code should not be thought of as a feature of VC but of log-view.el.

> * Right now it only works with *vc-change-log* buffers that correspond
>   to a single file. I am not sure what the action makes sense for
>   buffers that correspond to a fileset; I have mostly used VC logs in
>   the context of single files.

For multifile logs, the best option would be to popup a menu of files.
BTW this is specific to the display of files.  For `diffs', this problem
wouldn't occur.

> * It currently uses hooks. If it were incorporated into Emacs, it could
>   probably be added directly to an existing function.

Yes, it should probably be merged directly into log-view's font-lock
regexps or something like that.

        Stefan