Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 03:09:35 +0200

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Juri Linkov<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Suggestions welcome.  I'm afraid I don't have the time to tinker around
>> finding an optimal color scheme---I just wanted to fix the legibility
>> problem.  If you can come up with something better, let us know.
>
> Thank you, finally we have legible default font-lock faces.
>
> One problem I see is with `font-lock-string-face'.  Please look at
> design guidelines for font-lock colors at the end of the Commentary
> section of font-lock.el.  It says:
>
>  Make the face attributes fit the concept as far as possible.
>  i.e., function names might be a bold color such as blue, comments
>  might be a bright color such as red, character strings might be brown,
>  because, err, strings are brown
>
> It seems designers chose "RosyBrown" because it contains the word "Brown".
> But actually it is rosy and not brown at all.  Now we have "VioletRed4"
> that it more far from brown.
>
> Can we return the to the initial design with a color like say "RosyBrown4"?

I think there are two essential things to cover:

- Readability, ie luminosity color contrast.
- Color distinguishability.

Making the contrast to high does not make the text more readable (if I
understand correctly) but it makes the difference between the colors
go away.

BTW, who wrote the comment? Is that Jamie Zawinski?