Re: How to change overlay arrow position silently?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How to change overlay arrow position silently?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:38:33 -0400

> Its docstring says it can be used non-interactively:

>   When called from Lisp code, the optional argument BUFFER
>   ==========================
>   specifies a buffer to switch to.

It seems like even this `buffer' argument is very much an "interactive"
feature since it causes the buffer to be displayed, which may cause new
windows/frames to be created.

Makes me wonder: does any code use this `buffer' argument?  My guess is
that it's only used by things like the command-line-arg processing
(and/or the emacs-server).  We had better make it more clear: do not use
it from Elisp unless you know what you're doing (i.e. add it to
byte-compile-interactive-only-functions).

        Stefan