Re: emacs fontset combination problem

From: Liang Wang
Subject: Re: emacs fontset combination problem
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 09:40:50 +0800

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Kiwon Um<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear GNU emacs dev team.
>
> Hello. I posted a message on the google's emacs.help group. But it seems not
> to exist any good solution now, so I send it as a quotation:
>
>> Hello. Let's discuss about follows.
>>
>> When we use a combination font-setting of over two fonts in
>> emacs, it may be due to the multi-language editing
>> support. Those different fonts have varieties in their size,
>> e.g. many Asian glyphs occupy double width space of an
>> alphabet. (Even though the wide font is not perfectly double
>> wide space of one alphabet, many users want that the occupied
>> size of one wide character such as Asian character to be exactly
>> same with two alphabet characters, namely fixed font setting)

The assumption that Chinese characters occupy double width space of an
alphabet has annoyed me for a long time.  When this assumption is not
true, the result of auto-fill-mode and org-mode table looks mess.  To
work around it, I have to use bigger Chinese characters and smaller
ascii.  Then, I have problem you mentioned.

Thanks,
Liang.