Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: Leo
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 00:14:56 +0100

On 2009-08-05 22:52 +0100, Juri Linkov wrote:
>> For the first two commands, if they are called interactively, do you
>> think the file variables should be evaled after being added?
>
> Interesting question. Formally speaking, evaluating them seems right
> to keep local variables consistent with real values in the current
> buffer.
>
> But such evaluation requires also executing all safety mechanisms that
> also may ask a question whether a variable is safe.

By executing all safety mechanisms, do you mean calling
`hack-local-variables' or `hack-local-variables-prop-line'?

The question whether a variable is safe or not will be asked anyway i.e.
the next time the file is opened. And it is probably better be asked
when it is added since at this time the user has better idea what to do
with it.

There are local variables that can not be activated easily except by
re-opening the file.

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 1 day, 22 hours, 51 minutes, 33 seconds