Re: emacsclient 22 and 23 incompatibility

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: emacsclient 22 and 23 incompatibility
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 09:22:53 -0700

On 2009-08-03 08:29 +0100, Vagn Johansen wrote:
23.1 is very buggy on OS X, at least on 10.4. It would be a very bad
idea if they did this.

I have had several crashes. Also with "emacs -Q" I cannot enter '\'
and '|' on a danish keyboard.

Do you know if this happens with emacs compiled with no gui toolkit?

Is that a possibility on OS X?

I run

  ./configure --with-ns --prefix=..

You want:

./configure --without-ns

I would expect it to be nearly equivalent to that of GNU/Linux, no?

If you mean "emacs -nw" I have only tried it for about 5 minutes. It
has some redrawing problems when run in the Terminal application: top
menu bar partially drawn and also doing a C-x C-f will sometimes not
show the "Find file:" text.

I don't use it regularly, but I haven't seen any obvious problems with Emacs 23.1 (or the last six months of CVS) running in a terminal on OS X. Using `emacsclient -t' with a server running on NS also works fine for me. I definitely can't reproduce the drawing issues you mention.

 - Ian