Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 02:17:33 +0200

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM, Daniel Colascione<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Daniel Colascione<address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  ;; Important to fontify the whole buffer syntactically!
>>
>> Ah, yes, that was what broke it in mumamo. Could you please find a way
>> to fix this? There a different levels of fontification in JIT-lock
>> that probably can help.
>
> It's not really JIT-lock's fault. It's that regular expressions are not
> stringified until they're seen by JIT-lock. Instead of using
> syntactic-keywords to mark regular expressions, we could scan the buffer
> manually. But that would cause exactly the same problems that the
> fontificaton call would, if I understand correctly.

Could not JIT-lock do a second pass?

> Is there another way to solve the problem? Can mumamo tell espresso to
> ignore certain parts of the buffer?

Well, it does, but espresso kind of ignores that ... ;-)

Just telling it where to scan will however not help since
espresso-mode will be called every time a user enters a chunk with
espresso-mode.

>> Other things to look for are of course key bindings and using
>> define-derived-mode. (And probably more that I have forgotten.)
>
> Keybindings are standard, IIRC. espresso-mode does override the normal tag
> binding, but it implements the same functionality in a different way. That
> sort of keybinding is explicitly allowed.

Nice.

> As for define-derived-mode: nope, espresso-mode doesn't use that.

It is a minor change but will help keeping it upto date later.