Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:12:56 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> However in that case I would still suggest showing one window
>>> temporary and explain and give alternatives there. I can't see that it
>>> is worse than just deleting the windows. Just deleting the windows
>>> might look like a bug - or maybe just not be noticed, be confusing.
>>
>> It hardly was a problem recently.  What's more important IMHO is that
>> when we shrink a frame and re-enlarge it afterwards we should get the
>> previous sizes.  That's, however, more difficult to do.
>

> What is problematic with that if we save pointers to the old structure
> as I suggested? (I am not saying there aren't any problem, I just
> don't know what kind of problem you see.)

What _is_ the "old structure" when resizing opaquely?  It might be
easiest to store window sizes as fractions.  When resizing a frame, the
fractions don't change (so the internal window configuration snaps to
the closest integral value).  When resizing individual windows, the
fractions are made whole again, matching the character positions of the
frame.

Note that storing stuff in that manner also allows repeated toggles of
tool-bar-mode and similar to revert to the original frame configuration
painlessly since the outer window edges (which can't be repositioned
within a frame) retain the original fractions indefinitely as long as
the frame itself is not resized manually.

--
David Kastrup