Re: New sync'd branch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:18:08 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> First, you are probably working on GNU/Linux most of the time.  By
> contrast, most of my Emacs development is on MS-Windows, where
> installing git is an adventure at best.

No, at best it is easy.

> Last time I looked (I'd love to learn things changed since then), most
> of git were Unixy shell scripts, which means I will need to install
> Cygwin or MSYS.

No, it means you have to install msysgit.

<URL:http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/wiki/InstallMSysGit>

> Each one of these needs its own share of learning,
> tweaking, and getting used to.  If I had this kind of time, I'd
> probably install GNU/Linux in the first place.

That would not help developing for Windows, though.

> Then I already have several local sandboxes: the trunk, the 23_1_RC
> branch, a sandbox where I build and test the DOS port, and now the
> bidi branch.  It's confusing as it is already; learning how to do that
> with 2 new tools (Bzr and git) will take more time -- time I don't
> have.  I prefer not to do that if there's a good alternative.

Frankly, CVS is not a good alternative.  I've been using git internally
for both CVS as well as SVN based projects.  The latter works pretty
well thanks to git-svn.  The former is aggravating, but still better
bang for the buck than working directly with CVS only.

--
David Kastrup