Re: new Emacs HELLO file??

From: kawabata . taichi
Subject: Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 10:16:40 +0900

>> In <address@hidden>, Mr. Linkov wrote:

> Omitting part of languages might cause some Emacs users to think that
> we consider their languages insignificant.  OTOH, adding more languages =
> more loyal Emacs users.  I mean the following reasoning of a novice
> looking at the HELLO file: "Emacs supports my language - good! I'll
> use it."

How about adding new language per request basis??  If I do not
misunderstand, main purposes of `HELLO' is to show and check
multilingual (multi-script) capability of Emacs and font availability in
user's installation.

`Removing' existing languages in HELLO file may not certainly be
appropriate.  As there are thousands of languages in the world,
attempting to add every languae unconditionaly may shadow the purpose of
HELLO file.

> If it is difficult to verify a group of scripts, we could group
> languages by Unicode script names ordered by Unicode ranges like in
> http://www.unicode.org/charts/

Difficulty comes from verifying if languages collected from the Internet
is really correct, or did I properly copy them to the text file.  Thanks
for pointing me of an error on Breton and Catalan...  That's my own
mistake.

  (address@hidden)       KAWABATA, Taichi