Re: Language identification

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Language identification
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:33:13 -0400

    >     Also there are conflicting extensions like e.g. ".pl" for both
    >     Perl and Prolog (esp. SWI-Prolog).
    >
    > Perhaps we should promote .plg for Prolog.

    I'd rather prefer to promote changing the Perl file extension since
    Prolog is older than Perl :)  But I think neither is realistic.

Why so pessimistic?  I'm sure lots of people find this conflict
annoying, and not just Emacs users.  Solving it would help everyone
affected, which mainly means Prolog users, since tools are more likely
to assume Perl.

We should not give up on the best solution without at least proposing
it.

Is anyone here active in the Prolog community?