RE: Differences between ibuffer and dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Differences between ibuffer and dired
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:38:52 -0700

> >> While we are looking at this:
> >
> > You mean making some keys more consistent between ibuffer
> > and dired?  See Subject line.
> >
> >> Wasn't there a discussion before about putting ibuffer on C-x C-b?
> >
> > ? No connection with the current subject.
> >
> >> I don't remember, someone had something to
> >> say about this. Was it Juri?
> >
> > 1. Why?
> > 2. Why would you bring that up here, in this discussion?
>
> I think you want to say that for you it is easier to keep those
> subjects separate. I can try to remember to respect that, but for me
> it is easier to do it the way I did it here.
>
> There are simply different thinking styles.

_I_ think I want to say that you introduced a different subject.  And that
subject would be better discussed in a different thread.  This thread is about
"Differences between ibuffer and dired".  It is easier for _the list_ as a whole
"to keep those subjects separate".  It's not about me, what's easier for me, or
my thinking style.

That point I made is not about thinking styles.
It's about mailing-list organization and etiquette.

Use any thinking style you like.  FWIW, I appreciate your thinking style.  But
please try harder not to hijack threads (yes, we are all occasionally guilty of
that).

FYI - Today alone, you also injected a proposal to add a new menu-bar menu to
consolidate all minor-mode menus into a thread about possibly including
anything.el in Emacs.  No connection.  Except perhaps that something you read in
one of that thread's mails reminded you that you had proposed that menu before,
so you proposed it again.  It's OK to bring that up again, but please just use a
new thread.

This is a pattern, and IMHO it's not helpful.  Should we be reduced to having
just one thread for everything, entitled "poubelle", "catch-all", "X" or
"Lennart"?

Think about it, please.  Even in your thinking style you might realize that your
new topics will be better treated and easier to find later if you keep them
separate.  It's easy to do.  Copy as much of the original context that made you
think of the new topic as you want.  Just change the Subject line so we know
what the topic is.  Thx.