Re: Question

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Question
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:28:05 +0200

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 06:15, Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> For supporting different languages, we will have a few emacs lisp
> files which should not be compiled because the have dependencies on
> code that is not present in Emacs.  I.e. they do something like
>
>   (require 'slime)
>
> and call lots of functions from this package.

Are these compile-time dependencies?

> I think the best way it to leave these files
> uncompiled.  Is this acceptable?

There are at least 82 .el files in lisp/** than are not compiled.

> If yes, how do
> I exclude them from compilation in the standard
> Emacs build process.

If you just want for the files not being byte-compiled, you can use

  -*- no-byte-compile: t -*-

or

  ;; Local Variables:
  ;; no-byte-compile: t
  ;; End:

but, are these packages usable when non-compiled? Because if they're
not, they should simply be excluded from the Emacs tree, I think.

    Juanma