Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Emacs making questions while starting in daemon mode
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:27:53 -0700

On Jul 6, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> C-g signal an error, which means that wathever is waiting for a return
> value is aborted as well.
>
> The final outcome with that approach is that the user sees an emacs that
> did not complete the initialization, which is similar to the effects of
> a faulty .emacs.

There are probably roughly as many annoying corner cases in the `bull ahead'
strategy as there are in the `wait for input' strategy.  Rather than trying to
weigh and balance exceptional cases, why don't we look into having emacs open a
window to ask those questions (or at least ask about bull-ahead-or-hang) if
it's run --daemon?  The existing code used if you try to quit emacs using a
mouse and the menu-bar (assuming a customized confirm-kill-emacs) ought to be a
usable guide.

I don't (at the moment) have good access to a system where emacs --daemon is a
useful option, which is my excuse for offering ideas rather than code.  My
apologies.

*Chad