Re: Efforts to attract more users?

From: christian.lynbech
Subject: Re: Efforts to attract more users?
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:31:26 +0200

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

Richard> ... it used tabs a lot for switching between different views.

This is probably one (among several) key issue.

I use frames quite a lot to separate different contexts (one 'main'
frame, one for shell, one news/mail, one for web, etc.) but sometimes it
feels a little that I am fighting emacs over this. Without having any
firm evidence, I am prepared to believe that it is not immediate obvious
to newcomers how to do a multiframe setup (or otherwise separate contexts).

One thing I have noted with people using vi/vim is that they tend to
have multiple vim instances in different xterms. It is surprisingly (at
least to me) hard to teach them to open only one emacs instance and
fetch files into that rather than trying to do it the vim way where you
start a new emacs for each new file you want to work on. If that is one's
mode of operation I have no problem understanding why emacs feels
awkward.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)