Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:05:52 +0200

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> Analogy (not really the same thing, but it is suggestive):  Remember those
> experiments where people put on special glasses that flip their vision
> vertically - everything looks upside down.  In a relatively short time their
> brains adapt completely, so they actually see everything rightside up.

Maybe that is what happens to old time Emacs users ... ;-)

(Actually I believed it took fourteen days rather than five days to
accommodate to that but I can't find my book on that now.)

Probably something similar is true about motor skills too though I am
not sure. However there will still be the burden of keeping track of
where you are at the same time so you can switch your behavior
according to that.

Whether such burdens are always negative is another thing. It might be
brain training instead. However for new users I think it is an
unnecessary trouble.