Re: RFC: A framework for task management and execution in Emacs

From: Jan Moringen
Subject: Re: RFC: A framework for task management and execution in Emacs
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:36:34 +0200

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 12:00 +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> Jan Moringen <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The code of the framework described above is available at
> >
> >   http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~scymtym/etasks/trunk/
> >
> > Feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Sounds very interesting. I have a scanner package called "emsane" for
> which I developed "emsane-postop". This is basically an event driven
> transaction queue. you push operations on a queue, and when an event
> happens, the operation is popped and executed. If the the operation
> fails, the transaction fails.
>
> Does this fit in your framework? I dont have anywhere public to place
> the code at yet, so I attach the file instead, so you can have a look.

Thanks. There seem to be some similarities between your
`emsane-postop-lisp-operation' class and my task classes.

Your framework probably fits "around" mine since my concern was not so
much about organizing the execution of multiple specific operations, but
the specifics (like progress indication, cancellation, when and how to
execute) of the execution of a single task (almost same as your
operation).

On the other hand, one could also wrap the execution of an entire
transaction in a task (with progress, cancellation, async execution
etc). This would invert the framework nesting. Maybe they are largely
orthogonal after all.

Kind regards,
Jan