Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:09:49 -0400

On 07/13/2010 01:12 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
David Engster<address@hidden>  writes:

When the integration of CEDET was discussed, it was decided to leave the
grammar development upstream. See

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/115053/focus=115054

People who want to extend CEDET should always use its CVS version. It
seems this fact is not reflected in the documentation.

We can include it in Emacs 24.  I believe Eric has some infrastructure
changes to CEDET under way; once that is done, we can do another big
synch to the version included in Emacs.

Correct. Lluis has volunteered to create a bzr repository that matches the naming convention in Emacs. I think he is waiting for a help request from sourceforge to be finished. We can then cross merge from CEDET CVS into the CEDET bzr repository and setup scripts to keep Emacs/bzr and CEDET/bzr in sync. At least, that's how I understand the upcoming process.

I've still been focusing on CEDET as an external package for Emacs 23.1 and earlier, just looking to wrap that up. From some of the other responses, it sounds like getting the build environment for CEDET working in this environment will be a big task.

Eric