Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:33:39 +0100

On 7/14/2010 7:05 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

Dragging is a kind of scrolling.

If you say so!

But you have a useful idea there. If we make aliases drag-up and drag-down for scroll-up and scroll-down, I suppose everybody can be happy.

The point is that both points of view can be useful and both are used. The
wikipedia page for Scrolling refers to both in its very first paragraph:

I suppose you have clearly made the point that "scrolling" is not precise enough a word to hang our coats on. It is better to focus on "up" and "down" and see if they are human-centered. According to you, the human user identifies with the document being edited and, therefore, scrolling "up" feels perfectly natural for moving up. I think you would be in a minority if you think this way. It feels strange to most of us.

For the vast majority of Emacs users, these names don't matter an inch because they use the key bindings. Neither for me. But, when I started using speech recognition, I had to vocalize the commands, and I really couldn't bring myself to say "scroll up" when I wanted to move down the document. So, I defined a voice command "page down" for scroll-up and, when I found it hard on my voice, just called it "scroll down".

Cheers,
Uday