Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:34:57 +0300

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:14:17 +0000 (UTC)
>
> Have you seen the image of the learning curve of editors?
>
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/060302.html

If you base your views on such "evidence", then good luck!

> The goal is to make emacs easier to use for the newcomer, so he
> stays for a while and has a chance to discover emacs is a beautiful
> swan in the disguise of an ugly duckling. :)

No, the goal is to attract more programmers to using Emacs as their
primary programming tool.  You seem to think that enabling CUA will
somehow make a significant step towards that goal, because it will
cause them "to stay for a while".  I think that staying for another 5
minutes will gain nothing, because C-x and C-v are not useful enough
for writing code.

Programmers need features that help them do their job.  If we want to
bring more of them on board, there's no way around providing those
features.  No amount of arguing about CUA and this or that keybinding
will be ever able to do anything significant in the direction we all
want to go.  It's high time to stop talking and start doing.  It's
high time to stop being afraid of "insufficient resources" and "too
large jobs", and start coding.  If you want encouragement, just count
how many KLOCs we add to Emacs each month.