Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:23:20 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:40:17 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Can you really avoid having C++ objects that reference Emacs buffers
> > and strings?
>
> Just like you have to be careful not to use direct pointers into string
> and buffer space in C.  Nothing new here.

"Nothing new" for me and you, perhaps.  But I'm not sure about Óscar.

> > And on some platforms (although not on GNU/Linux, I think) malloc is
> > also replaced, so there's no "normal malloc space" per se.
>
> ralloc always divides the allocated space into malloc areas (handed to
> malloc and friends) and relocatable blocks (handed to r_alloc and
> friends).

I'm quite sure I've bumped in the past into a bug triggered by a call
to malloc from a library function which had nothing to do with
relocatable blocks.  The bug happened because that malloc call caused
buffer text to be relocated.  Maybe the implementation changed since
then, though.