mouse paste completely broken

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: mouse paste completely broken
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:59:56 -0400

the situation is much worse than I first thought.

emacs -q
q (remove splash screen)
C-x 5 2 (create a new frame)
now you should see two frames: "*scratch*" and "*Messages*"
select word "buffer" in "*scratch*" with double-mouse-1
and paste it with mouse2 in "*Messages*".
So far so good.
now select "information" in "*Messages*" (again, double mouse1)
and paste it (again, mouse2)  in "*scratch*".
instead of "information", the word "buffer" appears in "*scratch*".
i.e., it looks like each frame has its own notion of x selection
pastable with mouse2

I have set my window manager to focus follows mouse.

this is linux/gnome, emacs bzr tip from Monday.

Sam Steingold wrote:
after I updated emacs this morning, I observe the following ugliness:
emacs -q
q (remove splash screen)
C-x 2 (get two windows)
evaluate in *scratch*:
(setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill t
      mouse-autoselect-window -0.1)
now, select a word in one window with a mouse1 double-click, let it be the word "first". then select a word (say, "second") in the second window also with mouse1 double click. now, move the mouse back to the first window and observe that the word "second" no longer looks selected, while the word "first" no looks selected. now click mouse2 (inside the first window) - "first" is inserted in the first window, not "second" (which was the last word I selected with the mouse!