Re: "resource temporarily unavailable" errors on windows 7

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "resource temporarily unavailable" errors on windows 7
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 05:54:22 +0200

> Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:18:10 +0800
> From: Alex Harsanyi <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> My understanding is that in a 32bit windows process, only 2Gb of
> address space is usable by the application.

That's true.

> Could this mean that after alocate_heap() is called, the entire
> address space of the emacs process is allocated and CreateProcess()
> cannot allocate memory for its internal needs?

The function we are talking about does not _allocate_ memory, it just
_reserves_ it.  Memory is only allocated (i.e. committed) when Emacs
actually needs it (and decommitted when it's no longer needed).

> Since only 1.4 Gb are allocated in Windows XP compatibility mode, this
> would leave 0.4 Gb free to be used by CreateProcess(), so subprocesses
> can be started without problems.

How much memory is "left" after allocate_heap does its job depends on
how much _virtual_ memory do you have.  IOW, the 2GB number is
_per_application_, not for _all_ applications.  See my other mail for
more practical questions.