Re: splitting windows and switching buffers

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: splitting windows and switching buffers
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 10:59:56 -0400

> * martin rudalics <address@hidden> [2012-03-23 11:34:41 +0100]:
>
>> Can we introduce a user option show-visible-buffer?
>
> First of all I would have to know a practical use case where this
> would be better.  Showing the same buffer in two windows
> simultaneously is practically always the result of C-x 2 or C-x 3

That's why I have

(defun sds-split-window (size)
  "Split the window (sideways if it is wide) and switch buffer."
  (interactive "P")
  (if (< split-width-threshold (window-width))
      (split-window-right size)
      (split-window-below size))
  (unrecord-window-buffer)
  (switch-to-buffer (other-buffer)))

bound to [f2] and I (almost) never use C-x 2 or C-x 3.

I understand and recognize that some people like to show the same buffer
in two windows, but I don't think I ever do, and I wish there were a way
to ensure that this actually never happen without an express request
from me. E.g., make the buffer lists associated with windows disjoint.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://camera.org http://americancensorship.org