Re: RefTeX Merge

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: RefTeX Merge
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 15:05:21 +0100

* Tassilo Horn (2012-10-16) writes:

> I've seen the reftex changes have landed in emacs/trunk.  As far as I
> can see, it works just fine.  Now after the merge, even the TAB
> completion for bib-entries at the `reftex-citation' prompt works
> again. :-)

Good to know. (c:

> One thing which seems a bit inconvenient to me is `reftex-reference' now
> always querying if one wants a \ref or \pageref.

You can turn this off by setting `reftex-ref-macro-prompt' to nil.  IIRC
I made t the default value because other reference styles (see
`reftex-ref-style-alist') offer macros in addition to \ref and \pageref.
With the prompt enabled it is quite convenient to insert those.  And it
is also easier to insert \pageref with the prompt.

> This is made even a
> bit stranger by the fact that this query pops up a selection window
> immediately, whereas the next query (which labels to show) starts
> without a window (it pops up only after some idle time).  IMO, either
> both should pop up the selection window immediately, or both should
> start with a minibuffer message and pop up the full selection window
> after some idle time.

It should not be too difficult to make both behave identically because
both are implemented by calling `reftex-select-with-char'.  Personally I
don't have a problem in them behaving differently.  I dunno if one gets
so familiar with the shortcuts used for the reference styles that it is
not necessary anymore to display the selection buffer.  But people are
likely quite familiar with the shortcuts for the label types and there
it makes sense to display the selection buffer only after a short delay.

> And can't the \ref or \pageref question be guessed with rather high
> certainty anyway?  E.g. only if the preceeding word is "page", "Seite",
> "página", etc, one wants a \pageref, else we want a \ref.

That would be convenient if we were only dealing with \ref and \pageref.
But what about the macros offered by the other reference styles?  For
those you'd need the prompt nevertheless.

> Anyway, thanks a lot for your work!  I'm pretty sure that wasn't much
> fun.

And it took quite some time because I merged "by hand". (c:

> Is the reftex CVS now officially obsolete, so that when I change
> reftex stuff in emacs I don't need to fiddle the change in there, too?

Yes, I guess it is obsolete.  I still plan to do a final release based
on the state which is in CVS but I don't think it is necessary to merge
anything from the Emacs repository until then.

--
Ralf