Emacs24 coding system problems

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Emacs24 coding system problems
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 08:24:02 +0000

I have a problem with Emacs 24 that is a bit mystifying.  I manage to put it
in a state, by using VM, where

  - enable-multibyte-characters has the global value of t, but
  - every time I visit a file, it gets turned off locally.

This happens with both Emacs 24.1 and 24.2.  It didn't happen with Emacs 23.

The DOS line endings in files don't get recognized either.

There must be something that VM does which fires this bug, but can't figure
out what.  VM often creates unibyte buffers to load mail folders.  It uses a
function like this to do so:

(defun vm-generate-new-unibyte-buffer (name)
  (if vm-xemacs-p
      (generate-new-buffer name)
    (let* ((buffer (generate-new-buffer name)))
      (when (fboundp 'set-buffer-multibyte)
        (with-current-buffer buffer
          (set-buffer-multibyte nil)))
      buffer)))

I am not sure if this is violating any protocols.

Cheers,
Uday