Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:35:51 +0200

> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 21:52:27 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Point is always within the range of text that is displayed in the window.
> With hscroll, parts of the lines in the window don't actually appear;
> that's why point can be hscrolled off the side.  Nonetheless, it is still
> within the range of text that is displayed in the window.

Yes, that is true.  But the point I wanted to make is that nothing in
Emacs really assumes that point must be on the displayed portion of
the buffer.  Rather, the display engine deliberately scrolls text to
make sure point is visible.  So I don't think Emacs will go down in
flames if some feature inhibits this automatic scrolling.  The
auto-hscroll example was a demonstration of how Emacs command still
work in a sensible way when point is not visible.